Wednesday, January 17, 2007

namaste

so the coming of the new year (in addition to my general opinion of how things are currently going for me in the supposed "real world") has had me thinking a lot about making changes. i'm usually very reluctant to make changes in my life, but lately i've felt the intense need to reformat myself in a positive way. and while this urge exists, i'm going with it full force. for starters, i dyed my hair black about a month ago (which may not seem like a big change, but you'd be shocked at what a change of hair color can do for the attitude). at first, i was a bit shocked and appalled by what seemed to me to be a dramatic change, but i believe it's growing on me. this, plus the whole, figure out what clothes and makeup compliment this change, have contributed to the more surface changes i've been incorporating. additionally, i'm trying to work on a more 'grown up', fashion forward wardrobe makeover a la new york city. apparently, i can't get away with the same kind of fashion don'ts that characterized my style in college and i'm on a mission to fix this. change your look, change your life....they say.

secondly, since I got back from memphis (a lovely weekend getaway full of sitting around, smoking too much, and watching tv, with a sprinkling of graceland and other rock and roll museums) i've been unintentionally detoxing. i just haven't the burning desire to drink or smoke very much since I've been back and this can only be a good thing, in my personal opinion. I feel physically better, I've been waking up earlier, and generally getting more done.

Last, but certainly not least, is this newfound obsession with yoga. Having enjoyed my status as hippie extraordinaire for quite some time and a former talent for various sorts of dance and similar physical activity, it seems weird that I have never gotten into the practice of yoga before. 2 weeks ago, I joined Yoga Works (a studio with locations throughout Manhattan) as a part of this sweet new student deal they were offering for the month of January. The offer was $25 for two weeks of unlimited classes at any of their studios. I figured, while I'm waiting for a show to come through and have nothing but time on my hands during the week (since I only work on the weekends) I might as well try something new that MIGHT actually help me get back into shape a bit. And being the sucker for a deal that I am, why not take 2 yoga/pilates classes a day for 2 weeks, when these things usually run for 20 bucks a pop. when i started this innocent experiment, i never could have imagined how taken i'd be with my new hobby. i absolutely love the classes i've been taking and can't remember the last time I felt so physically or emotionally open and in tune with myself. The teachers I've taken from have been incredibly passionate and understanding and the practice itself has brought me to this place of calmness and serenity that I haven't been able to find since I've moved back to the hustle and bustle of the city. I'm officially converted. Of course, I have to find someplace to take classes that isn't quite as expensive as Yoga Works, perhaps...but the more research I do, the more I find all sorts of yoga studios throughout the city that sound like really great places. there's even a studio that offers classes for suggested donations only, which sounds like a great community of people with an awesome mission statement ( www.yogatothepeople.com). another fun fact is that almost all of the people i've met at the studios are actors, or other people involved in the arts so there's a lot to talk about and people to trade information with. that along with the fact that everyone is happy and friendly and makes you want to put the same kind of positive energy out there in the world.

and the more you put out there, the more you get back...right? i think the key here is that i've been far more patient both with myself and with others the past few weeks. all of the questions and concerns that have been running rampant in my brain recently seem to have slowed down a bit, and i'm coming to realize that all i can really do is wait and see what happens. and try and remember to breathe.

No comments: