Friday, January 19, 2007

"just a" comment or two

Ahhh another Friday morning, afternoon, and evening at La Villa. The place where I spend my weekends, working in the opposite pattern of life from most of my friends. Rather than slaving away 9-5 at an office job during the week (which would suck my energy and enthusiasm for pursuing my theater career), I opt to wait tables for 30 hours every weekend, when the rest of society goes on dates, drinks excessively, and kicks back to relax. This is not at all a bad deal, considering I manage to pull in a pretty penny for a minimal work week and can get a whole lot done during the week while everyone else wakes up at 6am to enter data or answer phones. That, plus all the free food and good company. I do feel an occasional pang, however, when I see all the young people enjoying eachother, especially out to dinner in a romantic sense. Mind you, no one ever asked me to dinner BEFORE the weekend workathon was in effect...but now that is what I like to blame it on to make myself feel better. I had a few different tables today acknowledge what a "nice, lovely, and charismatic person" I am...which is always a mite uncomfortable, because all you can do is say 'thank you' and find something to do somewhere else (where you I secretly grin and think about what a great waitress I am). Many of these comments were followed by inquiries as to whether or not I have another job, or alternate career. I frequently mention my goals in theater because it interests most people (especially yuppies from Park Slope), makes them feel closer to you (and helps with the tip), and you never know who might be able to help you out in the business. The response is usually positive, and leads to interesting conversation that allows me to share my interests and experiences, which breaks up the monotony of asking what kind of pasta a customer would like with his chicken parmesan. There is a more uncomfortable response, however, that I happened to encounter quite a few times today. This is the "I knew you weren't JUST a waitress" response. I mean, I understand that only good is meant here, usually, but at the same time...it seems so condescending that people would consider what i do a "just a" profession. Mind you, I'm not insecure about my job or my status as a actor trying to make ends meet, but a lot of people at my restaurant have been working there a LONG time. and don't have other jobs. I don't think this makes them "just an" anything. And I think it's extremely stuck up for people to think that those in the service industry are inferior. It just pisses me off (one of the very few things that really do, actually) so think about that the next time you go out to eat.

in other news, tomorrow is an incredibly full day (even though i took off work). i have to get up at the ass crack of dawn (for someone who doesn't really start her day til 10am, at the earliest...this is like, 7:30) and attend not one, but TWO different auditions. both for new plays off broadway (i think) and i have quite a bit of nervous excitement about both. mostly because i haven't been to an audition since All Fall Down, all those many months ago and feel I may be a bit out or practice. either way, I'm going with Candace (my AFD friend) so at least I won't have to deal with a bunch of antsy actors I don't know heightening my anxiety. And no matter how they go, we can have delicious sushi lunch afterward. I do not look forward to it being the coldest day of the year tomorrow and me having to run around Manhattan like a marathon man. But we do what we must, and run to auditions in the freezing cold, than not attend any at all.

wish me luck!

(sorry a-lo, the relationship...or lack thereof post is upcoming. but that's a long one, and homegirl needs to get some sleep. though your post today about relationships and the nature of loneliness leading to settling in China motivates me to include my own musings on the same subject. on behalf of all 51% of us single women in the United States.)

No comments: